Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: The new Shield Cooldowns

1.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1

Lightbulb The new Shield Cooldowns

In the latest version of Clash of Clans, we made a pretty big change to how the shields that you can buy from the shop work. We introduced a cooldown for each seperate shield, meaning that if you buy a 24 hour shield now, you have to wait 5 days until you can buy the same shield again.

The reason for this change is high level matchmaking. What we've noticed is that some players purchase the shield after each attack, which makes them untouchable to other people's attacks. The matchmaking and ranking system we use works best when everyone who attacks once will also be attacked once. This currently works pretty well for lower level players, but the higher level players are having hard time finding matches because of their fellow high level players are always shielded.

The shield's original purpose was to offer player a chance to take breaks from the game due to real life things such as vacations and still remain competitive when they return to the game. We still want to offer this chance to our players, so the best way to fix the matchmaking was to introduce cooldowns on shields.

Do not panic! We expect the high level players' trophies to fluctuate quite a bit during the coming weeks. If you lose trophies because of this change, don't worry, others will face the same challenges too. After the dust settles, we expect the amount of trophies to be a better indication of both player's attacking skills and also their ability to plan effective defenses for their village (whereas now it's been mostly focused on attacks). Even if you prefer offensive gameply, this is still a good change for you as well, as you should see a lot more targets to choose from!

The effects of this change are not instant as they only work after the current shields run out. It should take a couple of weeks for things to stabilize, so hurry up and build those defences!

wow... *applause* a change that is good for the game AND decreases gem spending. o.O

another suggestion i have is:
    - add a "Remove shield" button

this will also increase the number of battles. because sometimes i DO WANT people to attack me!

there needs to be a better way to break the SHIELD DEADLOCK in the game.

-v

3.   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    another suggestion i have is:
    - add a "Remove shield" button
    We are looking into this but on a low priority for now.

The reason for the low priority is that there is already a way to drop your own shield in the game. You can simply click Attack -> Find a match, in the popup choose to drop the shield and then click End Battle when you find a match. Hope this helps!

I think he means to put your shield on pause. If you were to buy a one week shield but decide you wanted to begin attacking again after 3 days you'd lose 4 days of shield time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauta View Post

The reason for the low priority is that there is already a way to drop your own shield in the game. You can simply click Attack -> Find a match, in the popup choose to drop the shield and then click End Battle when you find a match. Hope this helps!
    i just tried your instructions but i did not see the option to "drop the shield".

when i click "Find a match", i get a popup saying my shield is active and i only have two options: "Cancel" or "Okay".

upon clicking "Okay" i will get the "Unable to find villages to attack" message.

where is this "Drop shield" option???

-v

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLane View Post
    I think he means to put your shield on pause. If you were to buy a one week shield but decide you wanted to begin attacking again after 3 days you'd lose 4 days of shield time.
    um, NO, that's not what i meant at all. it would be nice to be able to pause and resume your shield but that would allow people to un-shield, attack, re-shield at will, nobody would be able to attack anyone as everyone would be shielding right after attacks.

what i want is the ability to remove our shields if that is what we want. it will forfeit whatever remaining shield time.

-v

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    um, NO, that's not what i meant at all. it would be nice to be able to pause and resume your shield but that would allow people to un-shield, attack, re-shield at will, nobody would be able to attack anyone as everyone would be shielding right after attacks.

what i want is the ability to remove our shields if that is what we want. it will forfeit whatever remaining shield time.

-v
    We can already do that. If you're seeing that there's no available villages to attack it may be because you have too many trophies? I have 800~ and I can always get rid of my shield to attack

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherLane View Post
    We can already do that. If you're seeing that there's no available villages to attack it may be because you have too many trophies? I have 800~ and I can always get rid of my shield to attack
    yes exactly. enjoy it while you can because as you progress in trophy points there will be less and less fights.

-v

Quote Originally Posted by Rauta View Post

Rauta,

i'm speaking in terms of high level matchmaking. as you stated, high level players have a hard time finding matches. this is what i meant when i say DEADLOCK. where everyone in my attacking range has a shield, so nobody can attack anyone until someone's shield naturally times out.

this can be HOURS!!

why not give us the option to simply drop/remove/cancel our own shield WITHOUT HAVING TO FIND AN ACTUAL MATCH!!! this will 'get the ball rolling' and end hours of deadlock.....

stop the hours of clicking: "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", "Find a match" -> "Okay", ad nauseum...

stop the insanity!!!

-v

Very good change

No more words
    Zeus - Clash of Clans
    Community Page Brazil
    - Clash of Clans Brasil
    My Facebook - Follow

WOF - Digital Marketing Agency