Hello everyone! Welcome to my newest thread containing my ideas for Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Holiday Quests and Rewards in Clash of Clans. Throughout this thread, I'll go into an overload of detail, clearly explaining the ideas, how everything will look with pictures I created, and how this idea will help every player in the game.
Just like my first 2 threads (Updated Player Profile and In-Game Base Builder, which was soon after added to the game), this thread is LONNNNNG! Longer than the first 2 significantly. So large, in fact, that it will require 3 posts. For those who don't like to read, just look at the pictures. For those that have some time, I hope you enjoy this as I've spent a couple weeks making this thread. As you know, I often like to be unnecessarily thorough and when I make an idea/thread, I like to do it big.
This idea, if put in the game the way I created it, would take awhile to implement. With that said, even though this thread is extremely long, the idea itself is not THAT complex. I just go into great detail which might make it seem super complicated to implement. This idea might be the "shot in the arm" the game needs (besides Clan Wars, which maybe I'll make a thread for someday with my ideas). I'll try to lay it out as plainly as possible.
Also, just like my other 2 threads, I realize this post is more of an "Ideas & Suggestions" thread, so please move if this is a bother in General! Hopefully like the other 2, it can spend some time in General since it gets a LOT more traffic, and there have been other idea threads (level 6 Goblin picture idea, etc.) in General for awhile. Thanks mods!
Will all that preface out of the way, let's get started!
This idea has been suggested before (and I believe is briefly mentioned in the Sticky) but it's usually only talked about in 1 sentence. So why make this thread? I want to visually show you all how I think this idea should be implemented. I've played several games that have had Daily Quests and Daily Rewards, but nothing close to this involved. This idea, if implemented as I have it, would not change the game drastically as Clan Wars would, but definitely add a big aspect to the game, which in my opinion would greatly add to the enjoyment and day-to-day participation for the player base.
I browse these message boards a lot. I've played since December. I hear players in game and on Facebook. I know what people want and what they complain about. Here are some things I've seen consistently since I've been playing, and issues that my idea will address:
- More ways to earn resources
- Sustainable loot at higher trophy counts, in addition to league bonuses (as leagues don't cover the cost to maintain a high trophy level)
- More reasons to trophy push
- Additional resource mines/pumps/drills
- Different ways to earn gems (besides achievements and obstacle clearing)
- Other reasons to play every day
- Daily rewards
- Change the way we play/battle
- Variance to the game other than attacking another player's base (adding a different dynamic to the game)
- More clan/community involvement
- Different troop combinations used
- Different reasons to re-design our base
- More added during holidays
- Simply, more fun added to the game
So how can all that be addressed? My idea for Daily, Weekly, and Monthly Quests could be the answer to all of these issues.
Introducing Quest Balloons and Quest Jewels
In my idea, Quests wouldn't just appear (although they could to save server space if it was an issue). Quests would be brought to the user in the form of Quest Balloons. These balloons look very similar to normal combat balloons, but they are seething with energy, and house our Quest-giving character skeleton allies. Again, this idea is just extra to the core of this thread, and not necessary, although I'll explain later why I did it.
As you can see in the first picture at the top, this idea has a very Wizard of Oz-ish feel to it (with the top hat and balloon). The story behind our bony friends is one of peace and exploration. Balloon skeletons have always held the reputation of wealth mongers. While used in battle, one timid combat balloon fled an impossible siege against his master's command into the jungle north-west of the enemy village. After years of being deep in the jungle, the skeleton discovered a cave containing thousands of ancient treasure chests, glistening with a crimson red glow. Inscribed on the locked chests were instructions to complete various quests. The skeleton searched hundreds of chests and saw many he could not complete, but finally found one he could. The chest was small, but it required the skeleton to attack 10 enemy bases in 1 hour. Lugging the chest onto his shoulder, he stepped inside his balloon and immediately his balloon began to radiate with light and energy. Something of ancient value was inside that chest. The once combat trained balloon hadn't seen the horrors of battle in a long time, but he mustered the courage to attack a base and leave quickly 10 times. After that tenth attack, the chest swung open and a crimson light illuminated the entire scene. What riches lie inside that chest! Called Quest Jewels by that skeleton, word quickly spread across the land about these mysterious red gems as balloons everywhere would escape battles all over into the North-West Jungle in the hopes of discovering untold riches. While balloons loved the idea of becoming wealthy, there still remained the problem of unlocking the chests. They needed a fearless and powerful partner in order to open the treasure chests in a faster fashion. So every day, Quest Balloons carrying ancient treasure chests would appear at friendly villages, bringing the village master a quest he or she would need to complete in order for the Quest Jewel chest to be opened. Depending on the difficulty of the quest, skeletons would drop tips from the sky to the village master with a few Quest Jewels contained in the chest, as well as other resources to keep a constant symbiotic business relationship. Rumor also quickly spread of a recently discovered Room of Power, locked far in the jungle with a sign on the locked door reading "50 Quest Jewels Required" right above an open vault. Whispers in the jungle proclaim that when one's ear is pressed against the door, the sound of a spinning wheel can faintly be heard. Thus is the legend of the fabled Quest Balloons and their crimson Quest Jewels.
(If you can think of an origin story, I'd love to see it in the comments! I'll include the good ones too)
Important note: Quest Jewels are NOT a resource like Gold, Elixir, and Dark Elixir. While adding another component to the game, it is not adding another resource as we know them to be. Think of them more as an Achievement, where you need a certain amount to "Claim the Reward". I just wanted to clarify that, since I am also against the idea of adding another resource to the game similar to Gold and Elixir (raidable loot).
As seen in this picture, one of the legendary Quest Balloons is appearing from the jungle of the north-west, so both you and the skeleton can gain access to the Quest Jewels. In my idea, Quest Balloons will come from the north-west and proceed in a clockwise rotation around the outskirts of your base, stopping along the coastline until the Quest is over (completed or failed). This way, Balloons can all be seen in one area, but are not blocking the viewpoint of your base.
Along with a message like in the picture above, a sound effect would also announce the arrival of a Daily, Weekly, or Monthly Quest. I like something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhKO_K_xQGg (This is also my iPhone incoming text sound lol).
Here is the balloon traveling clockwise around the base on its way to the beach, where it will settle and pitch it's anchor (not an actual anchor). Quest Balloons DO NOT appear when attacking an enemy village, but only when visiting someone's base (possibly only visible to Clan Members).
As you could probably see from the pictures, a new button was added next to the Achievements button. I stated earlier that I would explain the reasoning for the Balloons in this idea. This button is a large reason why! I knew I wanted the button to be in this spot, as it made the most sense symmetrically with the UI. With it being next to the Achievement Girl's face, I knew I wanted a face for the Quests to match, which then had me think of how Quests could be delivered so the face would actually make sense, so I went with Balloons over Boats in the end.
Let's tap the button!
Daily Quests Screen
This screen is the core of the thread! This is the important part and the necessary portion. While I like the idea of something physically delivering Quests, as stated earlier, they aren't as important as this screen alone (although I think the Balloons add a great visual reminder that you have quests to complete).
I used the Trophy/League screen as a basis for this project, but changed most of the things around. As you can see in the top left, we have the Quest Skeleton with his Quests Jewels, but we have a lot user interface sections to go over. Before we start with the Quests, let's cover it all first:
This section is pretty self explanatory. We'll stay for awhile in the Daily Quests tab, but in the second post we'll go over the Weekly Quests, Monthly Quests, and Holiday Quests sections! If you want to go to a different Quest section, simply tap the desired tab. Since we aren't tapping on the Holiday Quests tab until the very end of this thread, a new Quest notification will stay above it.
This is the first time math and numbers will come up in the thread, although there will be a lot of it. Right below the Daily Quests title is a 24 hour countdown for a whole day. The time will be tied to official Clash of Clans League timing, which I believe usually starts at around 10 P.M. PST.
Masterminds' Quests: Laws and Rules
Here is the reasoning for the timer, as well as the main rules of my idea:
- Every day you can receive a maximum of 5 Daily Quests.
- A Daily Quest Balloon will appear at the beginning of a new day with 24 hours left to complete it.
- Every time a Quest is completed, a new Quest Balloon will bring another Quest shortly after.
- If all 5 Quests have not been completed by 12 hours remaining, another Quest Balloon appears.
- This means 2 free Balloons appear daily without completing any other Daily Quests.
- At the end of the day, all completed/failed Quests are wiped off the screen and a new Daily Quest will appear.
- If a Quest is in Progress when the Daily timer reaches 0, that Quest will stay until completed or failed, and then be erased.
- Complete 5 Daily Quests (doesn't have to be on the same day) to receive 1 Weekly Quest; complete 5 Weekly Quests (doesn't have to be in the same week) to receive 1 Monthly Quest.
- Only 5 Daily Quests can be completed in 1 day, only 5 Weekly Quests can be completed in 1 week, only 4 Monthly Quests can be completed in 1 month (since there are only 4 weeks in 1 month).
- Completing all 4 Monthly Quests will result in a bonus prize of Quest Jewels.
I will explain all of these further throughout the thread, but this list is the basis of the entire idea and main logistics part. Let's continue on with the UI:
This meter shows how many Daily Quests are needed until a Weekly Quest will appear. The info button next to the bar will state exactly that, and possibly contain a lot of the information I wrote above in the rules and laws section. Again, it does not matter if it takes 1 day to complete 5 Daily Quests or 1 year (hopefully not that long lol). Once 5 Daily Quests are completed, regardless of time, a Weekly Quest will appear.
As mentioned in the Quest Balloons and Jewels origin story, Quest Jewels would be a new, major addition to the game. It would not be an essential resource like Gold, Elixir, or Dark Elixir, but it would be an extra enticement and valued commodity. They would not be able to be bought (unless SC decided to) and would be very hard and rare to obtain in mass quantities and quickly. This Quest Jewels section of the UI will be the only place to show how many Quest Jewels you have. As hinted about at the end of the story, the reason you want to acquire Quest Jewels is so you can spin the ancient Wheel of Riches! This recently discovered Wheel will be shown and talked about towards the end of the thread, but it has rewards that will be valued by farmer and trophy pusher alike. No matter if you are a low level TH farmer or a Champion Trophy pusher, there are very valuable rewards, buffs, and boosts that will help you! Not only can they help you, but many of the rewards will help your clan mates too! One of the main ideas of this thread is to help build better community and camaraderie, as mentioned in the Introduction paragraph.
The info button next to the Wheel of Riches button (which is grayed out until you gain 50 Quest Jewels) explains much of what I wrote a paragraph above!
This section of the UI contains all the Quests you receive throughout the day. Our user example only has 1 Quest in progress at the moment, indicated by the text on the right. I had a tough time deciding between having this section look like it currently does, or having a blank area instead of the empty boxes 2-5. After showing a few other players, we all agreed that this way looked better, as there was too much empty space in the other picture. This way also shows that only 5 Quests can be available that day, causing the user to want to acquire more quests by finishing the first one. If requested, I can post the picture of what the alternative example screen looks like!
In this example, the user has received the Good Friend quest from the Quest Balloon. This quest requires the user to donate 60 troops in 4 hours. Piece of cake! The meters in the middle will always show how much is needed on top and how much time is left below it. The top purple meter will fill up, and the bottom yellow timed meter will go down.
Quests will not always be the same: not just the actual type of quest, but the numbered figures will be different too! Sometimes you will get the Good Friend quest and you will need to donate 60 troops in 4 hours, and sometimes it will be 70 troops in 3 hours. It won't be a huge difference in the numbers, but I think minor differences in difficulty is a WONDERFUL thing. Chaos and variance in a game is good. Period. Just not TOO much. I've played a lot of games, and the best ones always have familiar gameplay with a bit of chaos and dynamic events. Static numbers, unchanging/invariable scenarios, and predictability leads to boring gameplay and people quitting, a problem Clash of Clans may be having.
One benefit of obtaining a more difficult quest is the higher % chance of a better reward by completing a harder quest, which I will talk about soon!
Also, Quests are given relative to your TH level, Clan situation, and other factors. For instance, you will not get a "Use 5 Witches Quest" if you are just TH8 and you will not receive a donation quest if you are not in a clan. Also, if you are in a clan with 2 people, you will not receive a donation quest that requires you to donate 80 troops in 2 hours. There will also be measures in place to prevent abuse of donation quests, so that you do not just join a clan with 1 other person in the hopes of getting a low donation quest. I'm guessing an average of the previous week's clan size would be a determining factor, but this issue isn't important right now, let's continue on.
Throughout this thread, we will use the donation quests as the main example in the pictures. All Quests are tiered, and are in a family of names. For instance, the donation quests are called Good Friend (Daily), Great Friend (Weekly), and Best Friend (Monthly). I really like donation quests and think it should be one of the most received quests because it inspires community and clan participation. More requests and donations would be needed, benefiting very clan!
List of Daily Quests
Here is a BIG list of Daily Quest examples. If you have any suggestions for Daily Quests, please write them in the comments section and I'll include the good ones!
The numbers, figures, and rewards in this thread are just examples I came up with! Please, if you think they are too high or low, let me know but don't bash the thread because of them. The figures are not what are important in this thread; it is the idea itself. Numbers would be perfected later!
Every Daily Quest below would be anywhere from 1-6 hours. These are TH8 examples (TH level scales difficulty). They can not be completed in Single-Player missions unless instructed. I've also included some higher TH quests just so you can see (such as Inferno Tower Quests, Witch Quests, etc.)
- Good Friend = Donate 45-75 troops (clan size would be a factor in the number).
- Dragon Gift = Donate 2-10 Dragons
- Wizard Gift = Donate 10-30 Wizards
- Archer Gift = Donate 20-50 Archers
- Trophy Pile = Gain 5-50 trophies (current trophy level would be a MAJOR factor in the number).
- Mobster = Revenge 5-10 bases
- Little Dipper = 1-Star 10-20 enemy player villages
- Big Dipper = 2-Star 7-15 enemy player villages (I named all the star quests after constellations!)
- Andromeda = 3-Star 5-12 enemy player villages
- First Time = Do not tap Next, and 1-Star 2-5 enemy villages in a row
- Gold Rush = Loot 300,000 - 2 million gold
- Pink Thief = Loot 300,000 - 2 million elixir
- Dark Harvest = Loot 1,000 - 4,000 dark elixir
- Barbarian Mob = Use an army with 75-125 Barbarians or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Short Bow = Use an army with 75-125 Archers or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Wee Attak U! = Use an army with 50-100 Goblins or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Bald Is Better = Use an army with 15-25 Giants or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Detonation = Use an army with 10-25 Wall Breakers or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Fighter Jet = Use an army with 12-32 Balloons or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Dumbledore = Use an army with 15-40 Wizards or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Cleric = Use an army with 4-8 Healers or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Spyro = Use an army with 4-8 Dragons or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Female Robot? = Use an army with 3-6 P.E.K.K.A.S. or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Mosquitoes = Use an army with 25-50 Minions or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- I Pity the Walls = Use an army with 12-25 Hog Riders or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Lumber-Jill = Use an army with 7-12 or more Valkyries to 3-Star an enemy village
- Geodude = Use an army with 2-4 Golems or more to 3-Star an enemy village
- Made of Wood = Use an army with 4-8 Witches or more to 3-Star an enemy village
Specific Defense Destroying Quests
- Town Meeting = Destroy 3-8 enemy Town Halls
- Castle = Destroy 4-10 enemy Clan Castles
- Projectile = Destroy 16-30 enemy Cannons
- Hold Your Fire! = Destroy 16-30 enemy Archer Towers
- Rusty Mortar = Destroy 8-20 enemy Mortars
- Indigo Mountain = Destroy 8-20 enemy Wizard Towers
- Safe Skies = Destroy 8-20 enemy Air Defenses
- Electric Shock = Destroy 8-20 enemy Hidden Teslas
- Ballista = Destroy 3-8 enemy X-Bows
- Barad-dur = Destroy 2-6 enemy Inferno Towers
- Dynamite = Destroy 20-100 enemy Walls
- Bombs Away! = Destroy 10%-25% of an enemy's walls
- Galahad = Paralyze 5-12 enemy Barbarian Kings
- Ygraine = Paralyze 5-12 enemy Archer Queens
- Altar Sacrifice = Destroy 4-12 enemy Barbarian King or Archer Queen altars
- Build This! = Destroy 15-40 enemy Builder's Huts
- Not My Builders! = Do not allow any of your Builder's Huts to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Town Hall! = Do not allow your Town Hall to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Spell Factory! = Do not allow your Spell Factory to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Laboratory! = Do not allow your Laboratory to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Mines! = Do not allow any of your Gold Mines to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Pumps! = Do not allow any of your Elixir Collectors to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Drills! = Do not allow any of your Dark Elixir Drills to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Camps! = Do not allow any of your Army Camps to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Not My Altars! = Do not allow your King or Queen's Altars to be destroyed (in allotted amount of time)
- Trimmed Bush = Cut down 2-5 obstacles
- Mousetrap = Set off 8-22 enemy Traps
- Insomniac = Play/have the game open for 1-4 hours
- Kings Hate Castles = Have your Barbarian King destroy 3-8 Clan Castles
These are all the Quests I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have different ideas (especially for the Random Quests), I'd love to include them! If you have any ideas for quests that will inspire clan unity and camaraderie, I REALLY want to read those.
I realize some of the Quests I listed may not be possible code-wise (such as Kings Hate Castles) but I think most of them would be possible. Again, these are all JUST ideas.
Here are some different positive aspects that would happen with these Quests:
- Donation Quests will promote clan unity/participation and add to the social/community experience, which in my opinion is the key aspect of Clash of Clans.
- Troop Quests will promote use of different troop combinations, in the hopes of adding more dynamic gameplay to the user experience.
- Defense Quests will promote different base designs, which will fit in nicely with the new Base Builder mode. For instance, in the Not My Builders! quest where you cannot have any of your Builder's Huts destroyed in a certain amount of hours, you may re-design part of your base to protect those huts for a few hours. Most of the defense quests make you protect things normally put outside your walls, such as Spell Factories and Laboratories. It will add variance and a little fun to the game (for those that want to do the Quests)!
Forum users' created Daily Quest ideas:
From Lycanthrope, page 17:
"Persian--Three star x amount of bases with 70.0% or less of your max army size. (Ex. 140/200)
Athenian--Three star x amount of bases with 50.0% or less of your max army size. (Ex. 100/200)
Spartan--Three star x amount of bases with 30.0% (see what I did there ) or less of your max army size. (Ex. 60/200)"
From Majesty, page 27:
-Get 15 archers killed by a single mortar shot;
-Engage and win a 1v1 Barbarian King versus Barbarian King battle;
-Get 3 or more giants thrown in the air with a single Spring Trap;
-Get 20 or more barbarians killed by a single Giant Bomb;
-Make a giant step on a Sunflower Bed, 10 times."
Out of space, continued on to the next post (2 of 3)...